Patient’s Rights and Responsibilities
As a patient you have the right to:
- Be registered with a named doctor
- Change doctor if desired (but please remember that you may have to see any of the doctors if your need is urgent)
- Receive emergency care
- Receive appropriate drugs and medicines
- Be referred for specialist or second opinion if they and GP agrees
- See your medical records or a copy, subject to certain laws
- Know that by law, everyone working for the NHS must keep the contents of your medical records private.
With these rights come responsibilities for the public. That means being:
- Courteous to staff at all times
- As prompt as possible for all appointments
- Responsible for cancelling appointments in adequate time.
This practice supports the Government’s NHS ZERO TOLERANCE ZONE campaign. GPs and their staff have the right to care for others without fear of being attacked or abused. We ask that you treat your GP and practice staff with courtesy and consideration.